The Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC) is typically used in cases that involve traffic infractions or minor criminal charges. If a PJC is granted it keeps the underlying charge from being recorded against the defendant. Instead of pleading either guilty or not guilty one may ask the judge for a PJC. It is completely up to the presiding judge in a case to decide if a PJC will be granted however if the district attorney does not oppose it usually the judge will grant it. If a PJC is used in misdemeanor or felony cases they still have the same weight as a guilty conviction for sentencing purposes. Thus the charge may not be recorded but the punishment will be the same as if a guilty plea without PJC was entered.

Keep in mind that even if you receive a PJC in your particular case the outcome of your case will go on your record. Thus your record will reflect that your received a PJC but it will not reflect the underlying charge. Additionally if the judge does grant a PJC in a case there will likely still be restrictions the defendant must meet, such as not being charged with the same or similar offense for a specified amount of time. While the PJC is likely a better alternative than having the charge recorded there are still restrictions as to who may receive a PJC. Those who have CDLs are not eligible for PJC in North Carolina. Additionally driver’s in North Carolina limited to 2 PJC’s within a 5 year period before they have an impact on a driving record or add points to a driver’s license. In addition, the second PJC in a 5 year period will put points on your insurance record
Essentially a PJC will allow someone to delay having a judgment entered against them. As long as someone follows the conditions set out by the judge the charge for the underlying charge will be dropped. Finally, a PJC can never be used for Driving While Imparied (DWI) but is available for a driving after consuming under the age of the 21.

If you have received a traffic ticket or charged with a crime you may be eligible to receive a PJC and our attorneys have the experience necessary to review your case to explore this option for you. Contact one of our attorneys directly by calling 704-499-9000 or toll free 877-374-5999. You will be glad you did. Don’t worry. We are here to help.