The Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC) is typically used in cases that involve traffic infractions or minor criminal charges.  If a PJC is granted it keeps the underlying charge from being recorded against the defendant.  Instead of pleading either guilty or not guilty one may as the judge for a PJC. Criminal Defense Attorney

It is completely up to the presiding judge in a case to decide if a PJC will be granted however if the district attorney does not oppose it usually the judge will grant it.  If a PJC is used in misdemeanor or felony cases they still have the same weight as a guilty conviction for sentencing purposes. Thus the charge may not be recorded but the punishment will be the same as if a guilty plea without PJC was entered.

Keep in mind, that even if you receive a PJC in your particular case the outcome of your case will go on your record.  Thus your record will reflect that your received a PJC but it will not reflect the underlying charge.

Additionally if the judge does grant a PJC in a case there will likely still be restrictions the defendant must meet, such as not being charged with the same or similar offense for a specified amount of time.   While the PJC is likely a better alternative than having the charge recorded there are still restrictions as to who may receive a PJC.  Those who have CDLs are not eligible for PJC in North Carolina.  Additionally driver’s in North Carolina limited to 2 PJC’s within a 5 year period before they have an impact on a driving record or add points to a driver’s license.

Essentially a PJC will allow someone to delay having a judgment entered against them.  As long as someone follows the conditions set out by the judge the charge for the underlying charge will be dropped.

If you have received a traffic ticket or charged with a crime you may be eligible to receive a PJC and our attorneys have the experience necessary to review your case to explore this option for you.   Contact one of our attorneys directly at Robert J. Reeves, P.C.  by calling 704-499-9000  or toll free 877-374-5999.